Saturday 7 May 2011

Swim Smooth Day!

Apart from getting up at 5:30am to drive to Loughborough, today has been amazing!! I attended a SwimSmooth swim analysis day and although it seemed pricey, it was well worth it.
It's brilliant being able to watch yourself swim, above and below water and Paul did a great deconstruction of everyone's stroke. There were twelve 'punters' matched by twelve 'coach punters' all looking to improve their swimming or coaching.
We had three sessions in the pool, with some theory about efficient strokes, breathing, catch, etc. in between in the classroom, plus detailed discussion of each person's stroke. Apart from being filmed in the first session, we critiqued each other, which was an interesting exercise. Most comments were brutally honest and I felt sure that I breathed out sufficiently-apparently not!! I'm a 'swinger' who classically holds their breath and has naturally higher cadence. The good thing is that this is an efficient stroke type for open water. I was really surprised that my legs don't drag at all and my body position is good due to my natural buoyancy...(hum).
I got to try my wetsuit and increased my cadence to 72 bpm with a wetranome and came out smiling after a 24 second 25m which was hardly any effort. I know need to see what I can increase my stroke rate to before it all starts to fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment