Sunday 29 May 2011

Cleethorpe AC Open and Woodhall Spa Tri in one weekend!

This is Jack Booth and I lining up for the photographer after his first ever 100m wheelchair race, which he won in a time of 25.2. A fantastic achievement since Jack is only 12 and has only been training about a month. A well deserved win.
It was a very windy race at Woodhall Spa today, but at least the rain held off. The 400m pool swim was interesting, very busy with over 573 competitors going off in 2 minute intervals. Had a charming man swim over the top of me, then slow down, doing breast stroke. I kept my cool and drafted him to save energy. There was no distinct line along the bottom of the pool which made some swimmers weave all over the place-very amusing as I got squished against the ropes. Over all too quickly, just as I was getting into it...
The bike I knew would be a hard 24km, steadily climbing 300ft but buffeted by gale force winds the whole way. I was more aerodynamic than most and enjoyed a whizz downhill at 35kmh then into a gruelling headwind for the last 4km.
Transition was not ideal, being grass, so slow exit for the race chair. I was expected to turn 90 degrees onto the pavement, uphill, so I just stuck to the road. Amazing how large the turning circle is on a race chair...Awful head wind again, kept my head down and just pushed, before trees and hedges, then houses gave some shelter. Ironman Martin of Spalding Tri passed me and I just looked at his tattoo on his calf as he disappeared. Out onto the main road and a better, although pot holed, main road, meant I soon passed him, even though he had the shorter route on the pavement. Kept up a quick pace from the halfway mark, and fortunately a marshall stopped a couple of cars for me to turn into the finish. I did have visions of ending up on someone's bonnet! Grass finish-ugh! but everyone clapping and people I know coming up to congratulate me was awesome.
I didn't get to see any of my daughter Rebecca's race :-( but her brother George did. We hadn't been able to fix a bottle rack to her bike so she'd done the whole race with nothing and was pretty wiped out at the end. I'm very proud of her achievement though, especially as she was on a mountain bike! Times tbc.

No comments:

Post a Comment