Sunday 13 March 2011

Wheelchair race results...

I never expected to come home with a medal today...but placed second in a time of 20.9 for 60m. I know, it's not fast compared to others, but it was my first race. My second race I did in 20.2 and kept better form until the last ten metres. So, a learning curve. I was surprisingly nervous lined up with all the other novices, all teenagers, but managed to give a young lad in lane six a pep talk before the start! I had to adjust the chair twice in the race as I am right side dominant and I was a bit tense.
Second race I was calmer even though I was up against Matt and Georgina who are awesome racers and did 12.8 and 12.7 respectively and a bright young thing who creamed me. But my technique was so much better, nice and even down the track until I wobbled my head near the finish. I was complimented on my performance by one of the officials whose son was World Champion in the past and he has offered to help me build some gloves and suggested some modifications to the chair I have on loan to get a better seating position. He's also suggested I come along to a CP Athlete Development Day in two weeks time. Maybe my new chair will be ready by then?

No comments:

Post a Comment