Saturday 12 February 2011

TCR Show and Coaching my Coach!!

I'm not sure how I managed to get both myself and my daughter to the Novice training at Yarborough for 9am today as we got home from the TCR Show at 1.30am. It's a 5 hr drive each way, but luckily I met Layla outside Boston and she kindly drove to Surrey and back.
We both raced to the Zogg swim zone to book in for swim analysis and were the first names on the list! Unfortunately, a technical hitch meant the water was only 16 degrees, but wetsuits were provided. It was still pretty chilly and meant I ended up breathing every second stroke. It was a bit like swimming against Niagara Falls and not making any headway...Still, I got some very good input on stroke technique.
Morgan Williams, National Development Manager, Triathlon England, kindly arranged a massive 40% discount with TFN after watching me swim and advising me on a suitable wetsuit. I am now the proud owner of a Blue Seventy Axis and can't wait to try it out! I need extra buoyancy in the legs to stop drag because I only use my arms to swim. Even though I have some use of my legs because of being a sci incomplete, ITU rules state that I must bind them for competition, which hopefully means a level playing field for everyone in Tri 1.
Today, I coached my coach...amidst lots of laughter! Judith tried out my handbike, then racing chair and made exactly the same 'mistakes' I did when I first tried both only a few months ago, veering off to hit the curb, worrying where the brake was, getting the hands on the push rims without catching fingers in the spokes, steering round bends whilst 'pedalling'...It has given her a great insight into what I need to do and I hope she is not too sore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment