Saturday 19 February 2011

Bike fixed!

Went down to Draft Wheelchairs in Cambridge yesterday on my day 'off' to get my hand bike sorted as the gears have been problematic for me. The bike is obviously not designed with petite ladies in mind. Chris spent over three hours changing the gears, rear derailleur, hand brake, attaching a bottle holder and a mirror, and sorting the seating position plus hand cranks out. I tried it all out in the car park, then on my new turbo trainer. There was a sadistic grin on Chris's face as he secretly adjusted the resistance...Apparently, most top hand cyclists are my age, so there's still hope, but I'm not sure many women compete. Perhaps they should have a go at Paratri and coach me!
As well as a turbo and the bike bits, I came away with a new pair of Harness gloves, £110. Ouch! My credit card has taken a serious hammering. The white liners absorb sweat and help get them on and off. They were a snip at £2...I will retire my thermals glove inners when Spring eventually arrives.
I tried out my lovely new wetsuit in the pool today, but it was a strange experience, swimming without feeling the water. It did keep my legs nice and buoyant (although I couldn't really tell) and I managed 40 lengths of drills with Doug. I also came out of the pool lovely and warm instead of with my usual blue lips. It will be interesting to get into open water in a couple of months time.


No comments:

Post a Comment