Thursday 10 February 2011

Fartleks and Competitions!


This week has been all about improving speed on the run section, so Fartlek sessions at the track tonight. I know it sounds odd, but it is a Swedish term for playing around with speed. My session consisted of several changes of pace in each set, with active recovery at a jogging speed. The faster speeds were at my threshold pace from the VDOT test done a few weeks ago. Since the workout was only thirty minutes, I did an hour swim concentrating on speed earlier in the day. If I could sustain my 50m time over 400m I will complete my swim in 8.24, but my 750m time could be 15.30, over three minutes faster than the current World Champ. That would mean a huge psychological advantage to me coming out of the water first.
Entries have now opened for the National Paratriathlon Championships at Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, on Saturday, 14th May and I'm very excited as I've entered! It will not only be my first Triathlon, but my first open water swim, so I will have to train in April (brrhhh!) at Tattershall lake-once I actually get a wetsuit...
I'm up at 6am tomorrow to get down to the TCR show in Surrey for lunchtime. Layla and I plan to queue for the swim analysis when the doors open and my daughter may just get an early 16th Birthday present. No training tomorrow, just spending. I have a small but expanding shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment