Wednesday 19 January 2011

Funding from Aspire!

Fantastic news!! I have received funding from Aspire, a charity that supports people with a spinal injury, towards the cost of a brand new custom built racing wheelchair. I have already put in my order as I was measured in November. I've actually lost some inches round my hips as a result of my op plus training. The chair has to be a snug fit so that I don't pull myself out of it when pushing. Just got to chose a colour...a friend has already suggested red with flames as I'm going to be 'smoking fast'. (Thanks for your unending positivity Steph!)
Track training last night, 3200m at a constant pace of 3.45 mins in 400m intervals with 1 min rest. Since I have only been able to manage four laps in total since I started training again two weeks ago, I'm pleased, if a little sore this morning. I know I have a long way to go, but feel confident my times and speed will improve when I have my own chair.
I've realised that I am having to learn new skills and develop new muscles while battling long standing muscle disfunction five years post sci injury. But I've had such fantastic encouragement from the coaches at Lincoln Tri Club, Leeds Wheelchair Racing, England Athletics and UKA. My hope is that in the near future younger disabled people will take up and succeed in Paratriathlon, ready for Rio in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment