Tuesday 14 December 2010

Novice Triathlon training


Lincoln Tri Club, British Triathlon and One Step Beyond are currently offering novice triathlon training once a month at Yarborough, in Lincoln.
I was able to take my borrowed racing chair to the first session and even practice 'transitions' from normal wheelchair to racing wheelchair, which I cut down from one minute to 41 seconds!!
All the able bodied athletes (AB's) had to run and jump on their bikes while still moving, so I have a distinct advantage. I am also allowed two helpers with me on race day to get me out of the water, into my handcycle and into the racing chair. Shame they can't do that last bit for me...
Unfortunately, due to major surgery on 24th November, I was not able to participate in the session last weekend at all, but went along by taxi to watch the others sweat over the turbo session Doug had in store for them. Boy was I glad to be sitting on the side lines for that one!
It looked tough.
On a bright note, I have found a second hand bike in America and have just managed to scrape the money together to buy it and have it shipped over. The kids and I may be eating bread and water for a few months, but I can't wait to get outside in the fresh air (or wind and rain) when it arrives in January. I will be able to start my training again and I hope I haven't lost too much fitness. I am also hopeful that an application for a racing chair from Aspire, a charity for people with sci, may be successful, so that I can order a chair that is suitable for me. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment